These courses are for pupils thinking about coming to college after they leave school and who have additional support need, or a barrier to learning.
The courses are part-time and run for 18 weeks. We run two options, each lasting around five hours per week:
- SCQF level 1-2 available at either Milton Road or Sighthill campuses (mornings)
- SCQF level 3-4 which is available at Milton Road, Granton, Sighthill and Midlothian (afternoons)
The majority of our courses will be delivered online only for the beginning of 2021. A limited number of courses will have classes on campus. You will be contacted by your lecturer if your course will include any face-to-face classes on campus.
The aim of these courses is to give pupils a positive transition experience and to assess their suitability for a course at college.
A wide range of practical and classroom-based subject areas is covered. This gives pupils a broad experience of the college environment, the topics they would learn about on our full-time courses and a general taste of student life.
Pupils will work as part of a group and learn new ways of engaging with other people, whilst benefitting from a transition from school to college.
Here are some of the things you could be doing:
• Learning about diversity & international issues
• Teambuilding and group work
• Improving your Digital skills
• Environmental issues
• Health & Wellbeing
• Social skills
• Topical subjects
No formal qualifications required. Students who attend these courses typically come from either a mainstream school where they receive some form of support, or from a special school or provision.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Practical and classroom activities
- No formal assessments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Applications supported by school staff.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Students completing this course may progress to one of our full-time, Access & Continuing Education courses, as follows:
• Those who attend Introduction to College SCQF level 1-2, would usually progress to one of the following courses:
o Steps towards Independence Programme
o Preparation for Supported Employment
o Entry to Learning level 2
• Those who attend Introduction to College SCQF level 3-4, would usually progress to one of the following courses:
o Entry to Learning level 3 Vocational Routes
o Preparation for Employment first steps
o Princes Trust Programme
o Skills for Life & Work
o Just Do It
- Courses at Edinburgh College that provide additional support.