The University of the Arts London Awarding Body Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is a steppingstone between lower level or high school study to a specialist art and design education. This course is designed for progression into further study courses at HND or university level or employment within the arts industry. The course has an articulation agreement with The Glasgow School of Art for two guaranteed places into second-year Sculpture and Environmental Art and strong progression into second year Degree study across Scotland.
During this course you will develop your confidence and independent learning in the four main specialist areas used in contemporary art and design practice. You will explore and evaluate different art and design mediums and develop a critical awareness of the contemporary visual world. You will complete challenging assignments within deadlines and attend weekly critical and contextual studies. The course will encourage your creative development through innovative and inspiring teaching. You will be taught by experienced, successful and professional lecturers in Edinburgh College art studios. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end of year show.
- Learning Skills and Context: The importance of drawing in the creative process and introduction to specialist areas of art and design
- Development and Progression: Students specialise in two of the areas whilst preparing for UCAS applications
- Final Major Project in one of the four chosen art and design specialisms
- London Study trip – this trip is not mandatory but is highly encouraged and valuable to your learning
- Diploma exhibition
- Minimum of 1 Higher plus 4 passes at SCQF Level 5 or BTEC /UAL Level 3
Diploma or NC SCQF Level 6. Entry to this course will be determined by
portfolio submission and entry requirements stated. Your application will be
considered on an individual basis
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills
will be considered for entry to this course
English Proficiency Requirements
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- You will gain UCAS points (Pass 80 Merit 96 Distinction112) for university applications allowing you to apply for entry to Year 2 at Scottish art colleges
- Your portfolio will support applications to specialist HND in Art and Design as well as second year degree level study through UCAS
- Second year entry into The Glasgow School of Art Sculpture and Environmental Art
- Progress straight into employment within the art and design sector at an intermediary level
Course Cost And Funding Options
Edinburgh College student, Dan WJ Prasad, tells us of his time at Edinburgh College and his progression onto an MA in menswear
“I obtained an MA in menswear from the prestigious Royal College of Art in where I developed and worked very closely with a tailoring house in Italy. My final collection was produced by the last standing menswear couture house “Brioni” now owned by the Kering Group.
Prior to entering R.C.A I was successful in gaining direct level entry into year two of BA Fashion Design at Edinburgh College of Art after studying in the Art and Design department at Edinburgh College; this was possibly the most important part of my education. I spent three years at Edinburgh College firstly studying the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design before progressing onto the HND in Textiles. My aim at Edinburgh College was to build an exciting portfolio and gain the knowledge and experience to successfully enter art college.”