Civil Engineering HND is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus taken over two years. The course will give you the knowledge required to pursue a career as a civil engineer.
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in the civil engineering industry. This course is designed to teach you the skills required for a technical role in civil engineering. This course will give you the knowledge and ambition to design and build the bridges, roads, railways and tunnels of tomorrow. You will learn the latest construction practices through a diverse selection of industry skills such as structural analysis, design and geotechnical engineering. This course will encourage career progression and enhance your career prospects
Successful completion of the course will provide you with the opportunity for further studies relating to civil engineering at university degree level. Edinburgh College sees over 80% of our HND students go on to study at university.
- Contract and Project Management
- Fluid Mechanics
- Material and Testing
- Construction Site Surveying
- Construction Technology
- Structural Analysis
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Health and Safety in Construction
- Reinforced Concrete Design and Detailing
- Structural Steel Design and Detailing
- Structural Timber Design and Detailing
- Structural Masonry Design and Detailing
- Traffic Engineering
- Applied Mathematics for Civil Engineering
- Work placements will be available through a relevant recruitment process
- Edinburgh College has industry connections that can assist you in gaining a work placement
- Two passes at Higher Level C or above in Mathematics and Physics
- A pass at National 5 Mathematics or equivalent
- If you are a mature applicant you will be considered on an individual basis
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed throughout the course
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to an interview to assess if you are at the correct level for this course
- During which you will complete three short tasks to establish your level of literacy, numeracy and drawing abilities
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- This course can allow you to progress to the second or third at a university level
- Technician positions within the civil engineering industry
Course Cost And Funding Options
Edinburgh College Built Environment student Anita Bielatowicz is celebrating her first-year anniversary of working with planning and design consultancy Barton Willmore, after initially joining the company for a five-day work-placement.
“I am loving working for Barton Willmore” says Anita. “Although I probably have a much busier week than the typical third-year student, the ‘real life’ insights gained by working for a busy architectural consultancy is so different from what I am learning at university – and it also provides invaluable experience for future job prospects.”
Read more of our student stories here.
PLEASE NOTE: All full-time courses will begin from the week beginning Monday 7 September. From 31 August students will be given an online induction to College and their course.
This course will end on...