This course is for pupils who are in their final years of high school. This course is intended to be studied alongside your high school subjects.
Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering is a two-year course taught at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus. You will attend College for approximately two afternoons a week. In year one you will complete a National Certificate in Civil Engineering (SVQF Level 6). In year two you will be required to complete a four-week work placement with an employer. This will give you a vocational qualification in the workplace and allow you to gain hands-on experience in the civil engineering industry.
What is a Foundation Apprenticeship? A foundation apprenticeship consists of both academic and vocational components from the current National Certificate (NC) Civil Engineering and SVQ Level 3 Construction Contracting Operations offered by SQA. These industry level qualifications will help to build the?knowledge and skills required for a career in civil engineering.
What is Civil Engineering? Civil engineers design and build bridges, roads, railways and tunnels. They design and build tall structures and large buildings such as multi-storey car parks, train stations and even the Olympic stadium. Without civil engineers, the world we live in would be completely unrecognisable. (Institution of Civil Engineers –www.ice.org)
- Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
- Mathematics: Craft 1
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction
- Construction Technology: Groundworks and Substructure
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Mathematics for Construction Technicians
- Civil Engineering Site Work
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Mechanics for Construction; An Introduction
- Civil Engineering Project
- Construction Project Management: An Introduction
In the workplace, you will complete at least one unit from the SVQ 3 in Construction Contracting Operations.
- A work placement is essential for completion of SVQ and takes place over the summer.
- Grade A-C in both National 5 Mathematics and Physics
- Applicants must be studying Higher Mathematics in S5
- Applicants must have an interest in a career in Civil Engineerin
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed on each unit
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at Edinburgh College to assess if this is the correct course for you
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progress to an Edinburgh College course at HNC level
- Further study at a university level
- Civil Engineer or similar role within construction industry
- Tuesday and Thursday afternoons
- Time: 1:30pm - 4pm