This Course is a stand-alone qualification that will enhance your theoretical and practical skills for anyone that is in their 3rd or 4th year of an apprenticeship or has already has completed Professional Development Award Level 6 and SVQ level 3 in Carpentry and Joinery. This Professional Development Award Level 7 in Carpentry and Joinery.
Practical based units include:
- The Proper Use of Carpenter and Joiner Tools and Equipment
- Complex Pitched Roof Construction
- Complex Timber Stair Construction
- High Class Finishing
- Purpose Made Fitment Construction
- Site Measuring
- Setting Out Procedures
- Specialist Door
The remainder classroom-based tasks include:
- Theory Tests for above units
- Communication Skills
- This course is delivered at Granton Campus over 20 weeks at college generally in three-week blocks three days a week.
- The practical work will take place in the carpentry and joinery workshops the theory is delivered in general classrooms and computer rooms. It is an advantage if you are completing your 3rd or 4th year of your apprenticeship or working with the trade
- working towards or have completed PDA Level 6 or an SVQ Level 3 in Carpentry and Joinery
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Course content consists of individual units that are graded through continual assessment in both practical and theory
- The practical element of the course accounts for roughly 75%
- The practical work will take place in the Edinburgh College carpentry and joinery workshops
- The theory is delivered in general classrooms and computer rooms
- Assessment is through continual assessment both in practical and theory
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full group award
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All students should apply online and must have permission from their employer to attend the course. Whether fees are covered by your employer or yourself, each application will go through the college selection process and will be looked at on its own merit.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue in further education within Built Environment and Engineering areas
- Progress within your chosen trade profession
- This advanced certificate will improve your prospects of promotion within a company and enhance your knowledge of the construction industry
- weeks over the year, one week block
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £972 Granton block-release (year 1)
Many students have progressed to workshop and site managers, self-employment and running their own company. Students have gone on to employ their own apprentices as well as many winning awards for their hard work.
Ex-student Cary Smith tells us of her experience as a graduate of the Carpentry and Joinery Advanced Certificate:
“I found the course amazing! The knowledge and skills learnt in college have allowed me to excel within the carpentry and joinery trade. Since attending the course, I have been invited to enter competitions on behalf of the College. I would like to thank the lecturers and support staff of Edinburgh College for assisting me in becoming a fully qualified joiner.”
Read more of our student stories here
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...