Electrical Engineering HNC is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus. The course is designed for those interested in pursuing a career in the electrical engineering industry. You will learn many valuable skills needed to work in the electrical engineering field including knowledge in Electrical Theory and Three Phase Systems.
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in the electrical engineering industry. You will also have access to Edinburgh College workshops where you will use up-to-date technology and equipment. The course is based in both the workshop and classroom ensuring you get a combination of practical and technical skills.
Edinburgh College works closely with many businesses and these connections can help you find part-time work to develop your practical and employability skills. The College will actively encourage and support you to seek relevant work experience.
This course will provide you with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills to progress onto HND Electrical Engineering or onto further study at a university level.
- Maths for Engineering?
- Analogue and Digital Electronics?
- DC and AC systems?
- Three Phase Systems?
- Electrical Theory
- One Higher at Grade C or above in Physics or?Mathematics
- A relevant NQ at Level 6 accompanied with a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level?
- Industrial experience and/or other qualifications will also be considered
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed at the end of each unit
- There is an exam at the end of year one
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the award
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You are required to complete a maths test before acceptance onto the course
- You will attend an interview to discuss why you want to study Electrical Engineering and to ensure this is the right course for you
- Please bring along a calculator and a pen on the day of interview and test
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- HND Electrical Engineering
- Progression into year two of study at Edinburgh Napier University or year one at Heriot-Watt?University
Employment as an engineer in the electrical engineering field such as:
- Renewable energy and other emerging technologies
Course Cost And Funding Options
Rhys originally started at Edinburgh College as a full-time student and studied a range of subjects including electrical principles, maths, testing, measurement and wiring skills. On completing the Electrical Engineering NC Higher course, he successfully gained an apprenticeship through Trained Up and secured a position with Forth Ports PLC. As part of his training he returned to Edinburgh College to complete the practical element.
Moving on from his Modern Apprenticeship Rhys applied to continue his studies on a part-time basis at Edinburgh College with the support of his employer. He has recently completed his HND Electrical Engineering and successfully gained full-time employment.
Read more of our student stories here.