This course is for employed students on a Modern Apprenticeship.
This Vocational Related Qualification (VRQ) will provide you with the essential knowledge and skills needed when working as a light vehicle technician. You will work on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist businesses.
The course is taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus in our workshops and lecture rooms by teachers with industry experience. Workshop learning will allow you to work on live vehicles to best simulate a realistic working environment. The workshops have all the necessary resources for you to fully engage in the motor vehicle industry.
This course is taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus and is offered as a block-release or day-release. Day-release (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses) will involve attending Edinburgh College one day a week over one-year. Block-release will involve students studying for 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year.
The SCQF 5 course involves studying both the theoretical and practical aspects of the industry, including:
- Routine Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Light Vehicle Engine Units and Components
- Light Vehicle Electrical Units and Components
- Light Vehicle Chassis Units and Components
- Light Vehicle Transmission and Driveline Units and Components
You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage environment.
You must be on a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme
Entry qualifications are set by your employer but are generally:
- National 4 or above in English, Mathematics, Science or a Technical subject is desirable
- A consultation with the employer and Modern Apprenticeship advisor is essential
How the course is assessed
The assessment of this VRQ is made up of two components:
- Institute of The Motor Industry (IMI) set practical tasks
- IMI set online testing
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Progression into SCQF 7 as your apprenticeship progresses
- A job in the light vehicle, motor trade or automotive industry
Day-release – 1 day per week
Block-release – 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £1006 Midlothian part-time (year 1)
Erin Mclean was always geared towards a career working with cars. Erin is an IMI Diploma in Light Vehicle and Repair student and the recipient of the Academic Excellence Award Automotive at Edinburgh College Prize Giving Ceremony.
“It was such a shock receiving the email informing me that I was going to be getting an award. I am so grateful to have been chosen – it’s really amazing.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start on…
This course will end on...