Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) Award in Electric and Vehicle Routine Maintenance is designed for technicians who maintain and repair electric and hybrid vehicles. You will learn the skills and knowledge required to work safely around a vehicle's high and low voltage and electric drive train systems while carrying out repairs and maintenance.
On completion of this qualification you will have gained knowledge of both high and low voltage technologies and an understanding of their dangers.
This is a two-day course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus by teachers with industry experience.
The majority of our courses will be delivered online only for the beginning of 2021. A limited number of courses will have classes on campus. You will be contacted by your lecturer if your course will include any face-to-face classes on campus.
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicle System Components and Operation
- Understand the Hazards Surrounding Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- How to Reduce the Risks to Yourself and Others
- How to Safely Prepare the Vehicle When Carrying out Routine Maintenance
- Working Safely
- There are no mandatory qualifications for this but a trade qualification would be desirable.
How the course is assessed
The award requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge and skills via:
- IMI set oral assessment
- IMI set practical assessment
- IMI set online test
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Level 3 Award in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Repair and Replacement offered at Edinburgh College
This course will enable you to continue to work and progress within the electric and hybrid trade
- This qualification is delivered over 2 consecutive days at our Midlothian campus. Bespoke delivery of the course on different days or at a different location may be available.
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £290 Midlothian part-time (year 1)
Edinburgh College automotive engineering student, Anthony Mailer, was awarded first place in the IMI Skil lAuto Technology Qualifiers, beating five students from three other UK colleges at the Henry Ford Academy.
“It’s been phenomenal, the whole experience. I couldn’t believe it when they called out my name as the winner of the first heat.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start on…
- Tuesday 10/11/2020
- Monday 30/11/2020
- Monday 07/09/2020
- Monday 26/10/2020
- Monday 14/12/2020
- Monday 15/02/2021
- Monday 29/03/2021
- Monday 25/01/2021
- Monday 15/03/2021
- Monday 10/05/2021
- Monday 21/06/2021
This course will end on...
- Wednesday 11/11/2020
- Tuesday 01/12/2020
- Tuesday 08/09/2020
- Tuesday 27/10/2020
- Tuesday 15/12/2020
- Tuesday 16/02/2021
- Tuesday 30/03/2021
- Tuesday 26/01/2021
- Tuesday 16/03/2021
- Tuesday 11/05/2021
- Tuesday 22/06/2021