This is a college developed course which incorporates a nationally recognised National Progression Award in Accounting together with additional units to giving the student a firm foundation in accounting.
The NPA Award is a SCQF level 6 award developed by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and is designed to provide underpinning knowledge enabling students to progress within accounting.
If you are keen to progress to the HND in accounting qualification then studying towards the Access to Accounting course may be the path to follow.
You may not have studied accounting before: being a student of the Access course will give you:
- An introduction to the basics of accounting
- An assessment of whether you have the aptitude and interest in accounting
- Prepare you for entry to more advanced courses in accounting at the college.
- The possibility of studying in other non-accounting advanced courses
- Accounting knowledge and skills useful to employers
If you are keen to pursue a career in accounting or finance then the Access course may be the path to follow.
The National Progression Award in Accounting covers the following:
- Recording Transactions in the Ledger: A good foundation of the basic building blocks of accounting.
- Preparing Financial Accounting Information: The production of a variety of financial accounting statements of essential interest to the users of accounts.
- Analysing Accounting Information: Use of accounting information to aid decision making and to interpret and evaluate business performance.
- Preparing Management Accounting Information: The production of a range of accounting information to be used as part of the decision making process by the internal management of organisations.
- Professional Ethics: Introduces students to the principles of ethical behaviour within business life and the threats to ethical behaviour accountants could encounter.
In addition to this you will study other accounting related subjects including:
- Computerised Accounting and Information Technology: Hands on training in the use of widely used accounting software packages and other daily used software applications.
Applicants must have:
- Good numeracy and communication skills
- More than one qualification at SCQF level 5 in a relevant subject a
- Relevant Accounting related work experience
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The units are achieved by passing a number of assessments.
- These assessments may take the form of a report completed at home or, more commonly, a test completed under exam type conditions.
- If you happen to fail an assessment you do have a chance of a resit.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Your application will be assessed upon submission.
- You may be contacted to provide further information prior to a decision being taken.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Upon successful completion you can progress to year 1 of the Higher National Diploma in Accounting programme. The HND is a 2 year programme: you can leave after one year of study with the Higher National Certificate if you wish.
The first year of study is equivalent to the first year of degree study. Students leaving the college with either an HNC or HND chose to continue studying towards a degree at university or commence work in the accounting profession.
The Access to Accounting course will enable you to further your studies in either accounting or related business disciplines.
Course Cost And Funding Options