The HNC Accounting is delivered in the evening 2 evenings per week over 2 years. It is especially suitable for those in work wishing to upskill and those with some industry experience wishing to formalise and further develop their skills.
Specific aims of the HNC Accounting programme
- To prepare candidates for employment in an accounting related post at an assistant level such as accounts assistant, finance assistant, book-keeper, payroll assistant, sales and purchase ledger clerk.
- To provide a flexible award to meet the needs of candidates in employment, recognising their existing experience and skills.
- To prepare candidates for progression to further study in accounting or a related discipline. For example, entry to year one or year two of an accounting degree programme.
- To prepare candidates for progression to professional accounting bodies’ qualifications.
- To develop and integrate a range of contemporary vocational skills. For example, the integration of financial and cost data; the preparation, analysis and reporting of financial data; practical information technology skills using a range of relevant software packages.
- To provide a range of optional Units to permit an element of vocational specialisation.
HNC Accounting prepares candidates for employment in roles such as accounts technician, assistant accountant and accounts supervisor.
- Cost Accounting
- Statistics for Business
- Information Technology: Applications Software 1
- IT in Business: Spreadsheets
- Management Accounting Using Information Technology
- Preparing Financial Statements
- Recording Financial Information
- Using Financial Accounting Software
- Two relevant National Courses at Higher (SCQF level 6)
- A relevant programme of National Units at Intermediate 2/National 5 (SCQF level 5) and/or Higher (SCQF level 6)
- An NC in Accounting, or other relevant areas, at SCQF level 5 or level 6
- Units from previous HNC/D Accounting framework or Units from other relevant HNC/D qualification
- Different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, Vocational Qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies
- Candidates qualifications and Work experience will also be taken into consideration.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- On-Going assessments
- End of year 2 Exam
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Application and Interview
Progression And Articulation Routes
The HNC provide progression to higher education with universities recognising the HNC award as entry to the first or second year of their accounting degree programmes or HND Accounting in College.
The HNC Accounting and HND Accounting Group Awards are recognised by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
The HNC Accounting is a general accounting award that allows candidates to gain skills and knowledge in book-keeping, financial and management accounting using manual and computerised techniques. This award is aimed at those wishing to gain employment, or who are currently employed, in roles such as accounts assistant, trainee accountant, finance assistant, book-keeper or a financial administrator.
Course Cost And Funding Options