This course has been carefully tailored to provide you with a wide range of employability skills you will need to become a professional accountant. In your first year studying HNC Accounting, you will cover all aspects of financial and cost management accounting in both classroom and computerised environments. Additionally, you will undertake valuable study in Scots business and contract law, economics, communications and information technology. In your second year studying the HND, you will build on these skills and cover advanced financial reporting and complex management accounting and planning. You will build an understanding of business and income taxation together with company law and be trained in advanced information technology software. The course will give you great career prospects and allow you to progress onto university degree-level courses. Successful completion of the HND can even lead to exemptions in the entrance requirements of top accounting associations and institutes.
- Recording Financial Information
- Preparing Final Accounts
- Using Financial Accounting Software
- Cost Accounting
- Management Accounting
- Using Information Technology
- Accounting: Graded Unit 1
- Business Law
- Business Contractual Relationships
- For year one (HNC): Minimum of two Highers or relevant NC pass at SCQF Level 6 numerical competence and effective communication skills
- For year two (HND): You will have passed all 15 credits at HNC level or all 12 credits if a student from the January start fast-track HNC
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through practical and written assignments throughout the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Certification with Association of Accounting Technicians (entry to the Diploma Level 8 course)
- Chartered Association of Certified Accountants or Chartered Institute of Management Degree in Accounting / Accountancy and Finance at Edinburgh Napier University or Heriot-Watt University
- Employment as an accountant
Course Cost And Funding Options
“After successfully completing and thoroughly enjoying the course I wanted to progress onto HND Accounting. I then started on my first year HND Accounting course where I learned more and more skills and got a deeper understanding of what it was to be an accountant. I knew by this point that accounting was definitely for me. I am looking forward to learning new skills and an even more in-depth view on accounting. After successfully passing my third and final year I hope to either get a job within an accounting firm where I can gain experience while studying for my professional exams or continue to university to further my education. For me, Edinburgh College has been amazing. I was made to feel welcome from the start and have made lots of new friends with other students and staff alike. Edinburgh College has definitely helped me get to where I want to be and has put me on the right path to becoming an accountant!”
Read more of our student stories here.