Barbering Level 3 is an innovative 18-week course designed
to enhance your skill base gained at Level 2, or through the work you have
already carried out in your barbering shop. Equipped with a more advanced skill
set, this course will enable you to develop your passion for
During this fast-track course, you will gain essential
practical experience working on clients in our professional salon environment
as well as attend theory classes and complete written work and e-assessments.
You will be provided with up to date training in new technology and techniques
using professional products. Edinburgh College is recognised as a
Centre of Excellence by Wella; one of only two Scottish colleges with this
professional recognition. Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your
employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities
and highly qualified lecturers. This award is recognised within
the industry as qualifying you as a barber.
Please note: there is an additional cost for
course kit, uniforms, and books which must be purchased prior to starting the
course. It is mandatory that you bring in models for practical assessments.
If you are interested in being a model for our students or
want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey,
simply book in for a treatment.
- Providing consultation services
- Creative cutting
- Shaving services
- Planning promotional events
- Financial effectiveness of the business
- All students at this level will take part in a work
placement programme for two days per week (9 am - 4 pm) for the full
18-weeks and gain hands-on experience in the industry.
- All applicants must hold a minimum of Level 2 Barbering or Hairdressing qualification or equivalent
- Must be currently working in the Barbering industry
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assessments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview - all criteria will be sent out prior to the interview date
- The interview will include a practical trade test and a written task which you will be asked to complete prior to the interview
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - presentation and communication skills at the interview, along with with the practical trade test and written task
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Employment within the Barbering industry at a technical and/or supervisory level
- 3 days per week (9 am - 4 pm)
- 1 evening (4:30 pm - 8 pm)
- 2 days work placement per week
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our success stories speak for themselves. Our Barbering students take part in a variety of charitable events and regularly visit the Salvation Army Hostel in Edinburgh cutting and styling the hair and beards of the residents who are homeless.
Many competitions and event opportunities are available for our student to be involved with over their time at college eg the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) National Competition, the British Barbering Association (BBA) student of the year and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show.
Our Barbering students were involved in the collaboration with the Scottish National Portrait Gallery for their community outreach project ‘Razor’s Edge’. This was an amazing opportunity for our students
Over the years we have hosted the Great British Barber Bash with show-stopping workshops with some of the best barbers in the UK. We also have had the pleasure and honour of the UK leading Barber in Male Grooming Chris Foster as our patron for Barbering