This one-year exciting course will enhance your
existing hairdressing skills and knowledge gained at Level 2, or the work
you have already carried out in your salon. Equipped with a more advanced
skillset, this course will enable you to develop your passion and
creativity for hairdressing as you progress into a more technical and
supervisory level within the industry.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your
employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities
alongside highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our
salons and studios, providing a realistic industry
environment, and gain essential practical experience working on paying
clients with high-end product companies such as Wella. Edinburgh College
is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella; one of only two
Scottish colleges with this professional recognition.
You will attend theory classes to give you the knowledge you need to complete
the written work and e-assessments required for the course. You will be
provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with
leading product manufacturers and barbers.
Please note: there is an additional cost for course kit uniforms and
books which must be purchased prior to starting the course. It is mandatory
that you bring in models for practice and assessment purposes.
If you are interested in being a model for our students or
want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey,
simply book in for a treatment. Check out our price list here!
- Providing Consultation Services
- Creative Cutting
- Colouring and Lightening
- Styling and Dressing
- Colour Correction
- Developing Creative Hairdressing Skills
- Planning Promotional Events
- All applicants must hold a minimum recognised hairdressing qualification at Level 2 or equivalent
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview-
all criteria will be sent out prior to the interview date
- The interview will include a practical trade test and a written task which you will be asked to complete prior to the interview
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on
presentation and communication skills at interview, along with the practical
trade test and written task
Progression And Articulation Routes
- You will be fully qualified to gain employment within the Hairdressing industry at a technical and/or supervisory level
- 4 days per week (9 am -4 pm)
- 1 evening (4:30 pm -8 pm)
- 1 day work placement per week
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year. eg Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, they also network with likeminded individuals and make new friends for life.
This year we will be hosting the AHT Scottish heats in February
2020 at the Granton Campus. And we are also very proud to have the AHT Chair -
Marion Main, as part of our hairdressing team.