Make-Up Artistry HND Year 1
This course will give you the skills you will need to pursue
a career as a make-up artist, with a strong emphasis on the skills needed for
TV, theatre and special effects. With lots of practical units, theory and
background knowledge this course can lead to a freelance or commercial
career. Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS) has exceptional facilities
and you will have access to industry studios and professional make-up
equipment. In the first year, you will focus on fashion makeup through the
units of Basic Makeup (skincare and eye treatments), Fashion and Photographic
Makeup, Business Skills and Applied Hairdressing. You will develop these skills
in your second year.
Make-Up Artistry HND Year 2
In your second year, you will develop specific
skills in Special Effects Character Make-up and Continuity Cutting. These are
all specialised areas relevant to working within the performing arts industry.
You will gain essential work experience throughout the course working alongside
hair and beauty, photography, dance and performing arts
students as well as at a variety of fun charity functions.
Upon completion of this course you will be
equipped with the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a successful career
as a make-up artist. There is a whole range of exciting opportunities in
TV, film and fashion. You will be in a great position to progress onto
further degree-level studies too.
Please see below information tasks that will need to be completed as part of the selection process.
- Fashion Makeup Techniques
- Applied Hairdressing
- Customer Care
- Selling Skills
- Character Period and Special Effects
- Make-up Postiche and Applying Wigs
- Work Experience
- You will be given the opportunity to take part in a variety of work experience opportunities during your course
- At least three Highers at Grade C or above
- English and Art (or art-based/related) subjects are
- Demonstrable computer skills would be considered
advantageous but is not essential
- Applicants may also apply with Art, Beauty or Hairdressing
qualifications at a minimum of SCQF Level 6
- If you have extensive and related work
experience in the field or NC Makeup Artistry, you are also able to apply
- You must have completed a 15 credit HND year 1 to apply
for this course
- We are unable to accept applicants with an HNC of under 15
credits internally or externally
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Through practical demonstration e-folios and theoretical/research assignments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Tasks for Distance Interview
1) Write 250 words minimum about the hair and make-up in your favourite theatre production
2) Please prepare a make-up portfolio including examples of your work, a slideshow, Instagram handle, photos from sketchbooks so that we can get an idea of your style and experience.
Please submit to PassMUA@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
Your application will be reviewed when all links are submitted, and you will be contacted to arrange an online interview where members of the Make-up Department will ask you questions to assess your suitability for the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- BA (Hons) Makeup for Media and Performance and a variety of
other makeup artistry degree course
- Further short courses in
photography, hairdressing, beauty or body art
- Make-up artist in a salon
- Freelance make-up artist
Course Cost And Funding Options
Many of our ex students are employed within a range of make-up houses including MAC Bobby Brown Benefit and Smashbox alongside working in film/photography and T.V.