Preparation for Study in Social Science is a steppingstone towards further study at Edinburgh College. This course will suit those returning to education as well as school leavers. You will be taught by highly qualified lecturers in a variety of essential subjects such as Sociology, Psychology and History as well as brush up on your communication, numeracy and ICT skills.
This course runs for 18 weeks from August until January. If you enjoy the course you can progress onto a second Social Science course in January.
- Psychology (with a focus on mental health)
- There are no formal entry requirements but you should feel comfortable working at SCQF Level 4 in reading, writing and numeracy.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through essays, reports and presentations.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview which will give you the opportunity to find out more about the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Level 5 Social Science courses taught at Edinburgh College
- Other Level 5 Edinburgh College courses
Course Cost And Funding Options
44-year-old Jenny Anderson came to Edinburgh College after having spent years raising her three children. She has been given the Award for Academic Excellence in Social Sciences and now graduates with HNC in Social Sciences. Jenny says her education journey isn’t over yet:
“I think being recognised for an award is uplifting and helps to inspire others. I would say the best thing about studying at Edinburgh College is getting to meet other like-minded people that share a passion for my subject choice.
My plans for the future are to further my studies, I have a keen interest in children’s mental health and counselling and having achieved this award I am confident I will go on to achieve this. I’m having a few months off with my children and plan to continue my studies in the new year.”